Saturday 19 March 2011

Stuck at Home

It’s raining. It’s been raining for 2 days straight now and I’m sick of it. The worst thing about it raining in Australia is that socially you aren’t allowed to complain about it. You just have to sit there and take it. Any complaint made will be followed with the standard retort of, “still, we need the rain so you can’t complain.” This statement holds 2 falsehoods: needing the rain and my inability to complain.

Firstly, we don’t need the rain!! The entire east coast of Australia has been either under threat of floods or actually under floods for the past 3 months. Rivers have been destroying their banks faster than toxic debt all year. Brisbane was a swimming pool and the rural Queensland was apparently so devastated by flooding that it gave me another reason not to go there. Explain to me why we need any more rain.

Secondly, I can complain. I can complain with the best of them. I’ve just spend the last 10 years living in England where complaining isn’t just the national sport, it’s your constitutionally confirmed right. I have done a decade long internship in complaining about irritants far inferior to 2 days of rain so don’t you dare question my ability to complain about this.

I know that water catchments are a sensitive issue, especially in the Murray Darling Basin, but there is one important point that every one of the ‘can’t complain’ brigade have failed to take into account: I was going to go for a walk along the beach today and because of the rain I can’t.

Does this make me a selfish person? No it doesn’t. Does it contribute to my many personality traits that make me a selfish person? Sure, but as a selfish person, I don’t care. I wanted to go to the beach. I was going to have fish and chips and possibly even an ice cream so now I’m in a bad mood.

Worse than being in a grump at something you can’t actually do anything to rectify is that I’m stuck at home. Imprisoned by inclement weather. Normally I enjoy being at home. I close the door to the outside world and revel in solitude. What could be more satisfying than having the option of being out in a loud tacky bar and choosing instead to sit at home and get some writing done? But today I haven’t made the choice. I’m stuck and I’m resenting my lack of free choice. Even Catholics get free choice and I’m way more deserving of free choice than them.

Whilst stuck at home I will watch a documentary on Wikileaks staring Justin Bieber and Nate Dogg. During the Supermoon I think it only fitting to discuss the Prince William trip to Australia with Rebecca Black (whoever the hell that is).

As this is my first blog I am concerned that the readership will be quite low. With this in mind the last paragraph is filled with key words that will hopefully draw peoples attention. I think it’s called search engine optimisation or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment